Farm Fresh: Nine shine in Texas League All-Star Game
By Cary Osborne
The Tulsa Drillers — check that, the North All-Stars — lost 8-5 to the South team Tuesday in the Texas League All-Star Game in Springfield, Missouri.
Twelve Drillers were selected to the North team — nine played in the game. Pitchers Brock Stewart and Trevor Oaks were named to the team after they were promoted to Triple-A Oklahoma City, and catcher Kyle Farmer is on the disabled list with a toe injury.
Here’s how the Dodger farmhands fared:
- Chase De Jong started, struck out the only batter he faced.
- Scott Barlow went one inning, allowed two hits and one earned run, struck out two.
- Caleb Dirks went one inning, allowed three hits and one earned run, struck out two.
- Jordan Schafer faced two batters: a strikeout and a walk.
- Alex Verdugo started in right field and played the entire game, went 3 for 5 with a double — one of two players in the game with three hits.
- Willie Calhoun started at second base, went 0 for 2 with a sacrifice fly, one RBI.
- Drew Maggi started at short and played the entire game, went 1 for 3 with a single and a walk.
- Jacob Scavuzzo started in left field and played the entire game, went 1 for 4 with a single.
- Paul Hoenecke entered in the sixth inning at catcher, went 0 for 2.