Farm fresh: Minor League weekend highlights
By Josh Gurnick
Here are weekend highlights from the Dodger farm system, including series sweeps and a flurry of homers…
- The Oklahoma City Dodgers swept their weekend series at home against El Paso, outscoring the Chihuahuas 25-8, and Logan Bawcom had a hand in two of the victories. After tossing one scoreless inning in relief on Friday, Bawcom returned Sunday as a starter, going six innings and allowing one run on four hits with four strikeouts. Bawcom lowered his ERA to 1.85 in 28 appearances with Oklahoma City. In nine starts, he has a 1.40 ERA with 33 strikeouts over 45 innings, limiting opposing batters to a .199 average. Yasiel Puig went 6-for-12 with a home run, triple, four RBI and four runs scored in the three-game set, and Micah Johnson went 4-for-12 with a triple, four runs and three RBI.
- Double-A Tulsa’s Willie Calhoun continued his hot hitting over the weekend, recording his third multi-homer game yesterday with his 24th and 25th blasts of the season. Calhoun finished the weekend going 7-for-13 with two doubles, two homers, five runs scored and seven RBI in a three-game sweep against Frisco. Tulsa outscored the RoughRiders 25-6 in the series.
- Single-A Rancho Cucamonga took two of three games against Visalia, including a 17-run outburst Sunday on 21 hits. Johan Mieses hit his 25th homer on Friday and 26th on Saturday, and has now hit a home run in four consecutive games with a plate appearance. In his last 14 games with an a plate appearance since July 29, Mieses has hit 10 home runs with 23 RBI. Yusniel Diaz went 4-for-6 with his seventh home run of the season, including three runs and a career-high six RBI Sunday.
- Cody Thomas recorded his 18th multi-hit game of the season, hitting his ninth and 10th homers in Rookie League Ogden’s 15-4 victory Sunday over Billings. Brandon Montgomery went 3 for 3 with a home run, four RBI and three runs. Since being promoted to Odgen on July 28, Montgomery has hit safely in 10 of 12 games (.373 (19-for-51)/.400/.765). In addition, Mitchell Hansen smashed his 10th homer of the season Sunday and finished the game going 4-for-4 with two runs and four RBI
- In the Dominican Summer League, Juan Herrera tossed five hitless and scoreless innings and struck out seven batters in a 2-1 victory over the DSL Cubs. Herrera has allowed one run or fewer in six games this season with a minimum of five innings pitched.
- The Arizona League Dodgers were led by a pair of hot bats to a 5-3 extra-inning victory over the AZL Athletics on Friday and a 4-3 win over the AZL Indians on Saturday. Gavin Lux extended his hitting streak to seven games over the weekend, going 2 for 6 on Friday and 2 for 4 on Saturday. During the streak, Lux has collected five multi-hit games and is hitting .387 (12-for-31) with three doubles, a triple and five runs. Andres Ayon went 2 for 4 on Saturday, extending his hitting streak to 10 games, going 13-for-35 (.371) since July 26.