Farm Fresh: August 17 minors highlights
By Josh Gurnick
Here are the highlights from the Dodger farm system for August 17, including an immaculate start and a memorable finish …
- Triple-A Oklahoma City’s Jose De Leon tossed his fourth consecutive quality start, allowing two runs on six hits in seven innings while tying a season high with 10 strikeouts — three of which came in an immaculate nine-pitch first inning. striking out a season-high tying 10 batters. In four starts since July 30, De Leon has a 2.00 ERA in 27 innings with 23 strikeouts.
- Oklahoma City’s runs in a 3-2 win were the result of an Andrew Toles leadoff homer in the bottom of the first inning and a two-run walkoff blast by Corey Brown, his 20th homer of the season.
- In Double-A Tulsa’s fifth straight win, 5-3 over Midland, Kyle Farmer knocked in the go-ahead run on a single to center in the eighth inning and Cody Bellinger added an insurance run on a double. Willie Calhoun has hit safely in 11 of his past 12 games with a plate appearance, batting .378 (17-for-45) with five doubles and 10 RBI.
- Mike Ahmed hit a two-run double to right field, going 2 for 4 in Single-A Rancho Cucamonga’s 4-3 loss to Modesto. Erick Mejia also went 2 for 4 and has recorded seven multi-hit games in his last 10 starts — including five in a row. Since August 2, Mejia is hitting .426 (20-for-47) with eight runs scored and 10 RBI in 10 games.
- In Single-A Great Lakes’ 3-2 win at Lansing, Luke Raley went 3 for 6 with two doubles, his second homer of the season and two runs. Since being selected by the Dodgers in the seventh round of the MLB draft in June, Raley has posted a .324/.397/.503 slashline in 50 games.
- William Soto allowed only two unearned runs in 6 1/3 innings with four strikeouts for Rookie League Ogden in a 5-2 victory over Great Falls. Luis Paz went 2 for 2 with a triple and a go-ahead two-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning.