Bellinger, Calhoun follow AFL Fall Stars path of Pederson, Seager
By Cary Osborne
Top Dodger prospects Cody Bellinger and Willie Calhoun are selections for tonight’s Arizona Fall League Fall Stars Game, which will be played at 5 p.m. PDT and broadcast live on MLB Network. Fifteen of baseball’s top 100 prospects were selected for the game — including Bellinger (31) and Calhoun (87).
Joc Pederson (2012) and Corey Seager (2013 and 2014) are Dodgers who have played in recent Fall Stars games. Some of the biggest stars in baseball — Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Kris Bryant and Nolan Arenado — have also played in it, as well.
Bellinger, the Dodgers’ No. 1 overall prospect, is hitting .311/.404/.489 in 52 plate appearances with one homer and five doubles in the Arizona Fall League. He leads the Glendale Desert Dogs with an .893 OPS.
Calhoun, the Dodgers’ No. 4 prospect, is hitting .286/.310/.429 with one homer in 29 plate appearances. He turned 22 on Friday.
Four other Dodger prospects are on the Desert Dogs, but were not selected for the Fall Stars Game, and this is how they’ve fared thus far:
- Alex Verdugo, OF (Dodgers No. 3 prospect): .140/.213/.233 in 47 plate appearances and is 6 for 43 at the plate.
- Chris Anderson, RHP (2013 first-rounder): Has allowed 13 earned runs and 25 baserunners in 13 innings with seven strikeouts.
- Joe Broussard, RHP: Has appeared in seven games in relief and has allowed two earned runs in 7 1/3 innings with five strikeouts and no walks.
- Ralston Cash, RHP: Has allowed 12 baserunners and four earned runs in 6 1/3 innings while striking out three.
- Corey Copping, RHP: Has seven relief appearances and has allowed 13 baserunners and four earned runs, striking out 10 batters in 8 1/3 innings.